Friday, November 18, 2011

Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Called in for Jury Duty!

I had the oddest experience a couple of days ago on FrackBook.   

I had just received a notification to come in for Jury Duty.  It was a bit of a surprise.  I have been called in before, but never selected.  I dunno why.  Could be that I wasn't exactly conservatively dressed.  Okay - it was a bustier, but I was wearing a jacket... Could be that, when they asked me to swear on the bible, I told them I would, but that it would mean shit 'cause I'm a Pagan, and swearing on the bible is about as meaningful to me as swearing on a stack of Yellow Pages.  Could be because, as they were asking me questions, I nodded towards the gentleman sitting at the lawyer's table and asked, "Is that the guilty fucker over there?"   - Okay, no.  I was kidding about that last one.  Maybe.

Up here, they're only allowed to call you in every three years.  I receive more requests then that - and then I have to call the Attorney General, explain, and everything is cool.  More than three years have passed this time - so I'm going in.  I would love to be selected.  I'm interested in the process.  But I am also the sole provider for my family, and having to go a few unpaid days would not be good.  Not at all.  It would actually put me in quite a financial bind.  So - I'll go in, but I hope I won't be selected.  And finances are my ONLY reason for not wanting to be part of the process.

I posted "Jury Duty?  Seriously?" on my FrackBook status.  That was it.  I didn't elaborate in the comments. The first response I received shocked me.  And I'll have to admit, it shook me up a bit.  I do not know, to this day, what could possibly cause someone to react with so much hatred towards someone.  How she could have read so much into those three simple words.  

Here was her response to those three words:

  • Camie James · 
    I guess if you were ever in trouble you would want someone sitting in the jury box that was too stupid to get out of it? WOW.....I am always amazed at the number of people that think they are too good to help their society maintain a bit of civility. People die every day fighting for the right to vote and be a part of the judicial system.
    Wednesday at 11:14am · 
  • Camie James · 
    Maybe it is a good thing you don't serve. I would hate to have someone as ignorant as you judging me.
    Wednesday at 11:15am ·


When one of my friends came to my defense, she was sent a private message in which she was called names and put down - along with MORE insults about me.  

I know that I had "friended" her at some point, so I'm partially responsible for allowing someone that moronic to access my FrackBook page - but seriously - WTH?  I'm really glad I didn't know this person in real life.  She immediately blocked both mine and my friends accounts after her insults, by the way.  I guess she was more than willing to dish it out, but not so willing to accept any consequences.   That's the last time I friend someone just so I'll have more friends that play Zombie Island.  

The way my true friends banded together to come to my defense was very heart-warming, though.  And I thank them all.  Janet, Karen, Kathryn, new friend Dean (also known as PFB), John.   MWAH!  :)

Seriously - what kind of tarftittle fackwagger jumps all over someone they don't even know?!  How miserable must her life be that she has to make three innocent words a cause?  I could have been referring to the movie... in which case, the phrase, "Jury Duty?  Seriously?" would have been perfectly reasonable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment